August 12, 2019
Print Recipe Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
- 1 medium sweet onion peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 stick butter divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3 ripe tomatoes sliced
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Add sliced onions to a skillet; salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/2 stick butter and cook over medium-low heat until onions are soft (not brown).
- Layer onions in a glass baking dish.
- Melt remaining ½ stick butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk and heat.
- Whip in flour and heat until thick; remove from heat.
- Whisk in 1/3 cup water (omit if sauce is not thick)) and 1 teaspoon salt, set aside.
- Layer tomato slices over onion and cover with white sauce.
- Top with breadcrumbs and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.