July 30, 2019
Print Recipe Pin Recipe Facebook Add Your CollectionAdd Your Collection
- 5 medium red potatoes Yukon Gold is good, too
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Wash potatoes well; peel and slice thin.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour.
- Add milk and whisk well.
- Continue to cook until thick and bubbly.
- Layer ½ potatoes in a 3-quart glass baking dish separating potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and cover with ½ sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and make another 15 to 20 minutes or until Scalloped Potatoes are tender.
When I’m in a hurry (when am I NOT in a hurry?), I boil the potatoes until they are just slightly soft, but not cooked through. Then I slice them with skins for this recipe. It cuts the cooking time by about 20 to 25 minutes. You can find this recipe and others like it in our Great American Cookbooks!