April 20, 2020
Print Recipe Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 5 jalapeño peppers chopped
- 1 small onion minced
- Pinch baking soda
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or pot to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients together using just enough buttermilk to make it the consistency of really thick cornbread batter.
- Using a small ice cream scoop to get a consistent shape and size, drop scoopfuls of batter into hot oil.
- Hushpuppies should float within 2 minutes or so after dropping in hot oil; turn hushpuppy to brown on other side.
- Remove to drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil.