Carol’s Crescent Rolls
January 31, 2020
Print Recipe Pin Recipe Facebook Add Your CollectionAdd Your Collection
Carol's Crescent Rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water 105° to 115°
- 1 package active dry yeast ¼-ounce
- 1/3 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 cups sifted flour divided, approximately
- Use candy thermometer to get water to right temperature.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Scald milk by cooking over medium heat until "skin" appears on the bottom.
- While milk is scalding, slice butter very thinly into a large bowl.
- Add remaining sugar and salt.
- Add hot milk; cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast mixture, egg and 2 cups flour.
- Beat well.
- Add just enough additional flour to make a dough that does not stick to bowl.
- Beat well.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly.
- Put in large bowl treated with nonstick spray.
- Turn to coat on all sides.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half out to form a 12-inch circle.
- Cut each circle into 12 pie-shaped pieces.
- Roll up from wide end and place on greased baking sheet, pointed end down.
- Let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- If you plan to freeze and reheat them, bake only about 10 to 12 minutes.